Progress: What have I learned in Week One?


Well, my first week has gone very quickly, but I've managed to fit in a few different activities! I mostly learned vocab using the app uTalk, listened to nursery rhymes from Huni Huni and read one (smallish!) passage of text. It has been fun, and I feel like I've made a little bit of progress. I'll tell you about each one.

Image of the app uTalk displayed on tablet and iphone
The uTalk website on tablet and uTalk app on phone.


Vocab on uTalk

So, I've had uTalk for a few years now and have dipped into it every so often (I was shocked to learn that I actually completed 5 of the 60+ topics. I can't remember having done so much!). The app is for learning vocab and is a glorified flash-card system. Each topic has a vocab list and then five games to reinforce the words. The great thing is that once you have seen the initial list, the games are all in Cebuano (with native speakers), so in theory you learn without having to translate from English to Cebuano. I'll review the app on this blog when I get a moment!

This week I studied three topics: Clothes, Body Parts and Vegetables. In theory that is 107 new words!!!

It took me one hour per topic and I completed 4 games out of 5 on each. I would like to finish all five games on each before moving on.

Photo of Huni Huni YouTube channel on phone with headphones
YouTube channel for Huni Huni


Nursery Rhymes on Huni Huni


Huni Huni is great website - it features nursery rhymes, flashcards and other classroom resources in Cebuano. I came across it in the book 'How I Learned to Speak Bisaya, and You Can, Too' by Steve Thorne. So this week I have been listening to some of the rhymes on the go.

I've listened twice for 30 minutes each time. Next I actually need to sit down and watch the videos to each of the songs so I know what each of them are actually about! ha ha

The e-book of Cebuano Folk Tales on a tablet
The e-book of Cebuano Folk Tales

Reading from Cebuano Folk Tales

So, last week I posted about setting a baseline, as part of that I read through a very short story in Cebuano from the book Cebuano Folk Tales. If you didn't hear the recording - it was pretty bad! ha ha. But you can hear it here. So I am adding that as half an hour of reading!

Summary

So looking back, I am quite pleased with the progress I made. I studied about 4 and a half hours. Let's hope that next week I get in a full five!

Thank you for following along with me. If you have any suggestions/advice etc. please let me know.

Comments